Forum

Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
DownUnderGround 2012 February 25th Sydney.
20/12/2011
1:00 pm
flatnatics
Members
Forum Posts: 2058
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Is this series going to happen and if so how many events?
Where? And approximately when???
A shit load more notice this time would be much better for those that need time to save and get holiday approval and maybe more inspiration to ride for those that need it...

20/12/2011
4:11 pm
Tweekend
Members
Forum Posts: 511

I'm putting forward the suggestion of a 3rd (middle) class to allow the now decent sized bunch of guys who get blitzed by the top guys and who are too advanced for the lower class.
Also, if possible, comps held at events or in view of passer-by's are heaps more fun and have that true competition feel to it. Don't mean to be rude but the last comp had more of a jam atmosphere to it than a comp feel. The Perth comp at the festival was super fun.

My 2c anyway.

20/12/2011
11:36 pm
necro
Members
Forum Posts: 344

Are there any plans for one in Brisbane?

21/12/2011
3:11 am
riderforlife
Members
Forum Posts: 1094

yes downunderground 2012 will take place.
we are in the process of sorting out the what and how and relevant info.
look for round one to take place in february. (sydney???)
debate is ongoing as to how many round 2 or 3 but this will come out soon.
2 is easy for many to get to, 3 is good for a series.
last year i think i spent about $4000 on getting to the DUG rounds.
Brisbane, not sure

the biggest thing is locations and scouting the right location, new location pose difficulty as everything is fresh and new and it take more time to get things right. revisiting locations that have been used before makes things easy as you know what to do and how everything works.

we will be having only two classes for points, advanced and pro with basic class being the one to entice new riders or other bmx riders to compete.
we will also be having the video entries but with strict guidelines.

there may also be a special event mid year but more info on that soon.

thanks for posting this in brett,

yes all will come through very soon

25/12/2011
2:44 pm
flatpaul
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 1492

I don't really want it to feel like a contest. I'd rather if it felt more like a jam to be honest. A few spectators is good but I don't want any riders to ever feel like they are there to put on show. We're there to meet up and ride for ourselves if we want to - and for the benefit of the riding community.

There aren't enough riders for three rounds. There will always be people between classes unfortunately. Losing isn't such a bad thing. All riders apart from one in each class will end up losing...

I don't think we'll go to Brisbane to be honest. I'm pretty sure there will only be two rounds this year. Sydney and Melbourne.

Paul

25/12/2011
3:24 pm
flatpaul
Members

Moderators

I lost a lot of my enthusiasm for organising DUG to be honest. After Summer Hill I really felt like I wouldn't do it anymore.

I was pissed off that people would complain about everything and do nothing. Some people never ride and come out once in a while to complain about flatland like it's their house and I'm doing the catering at their party. I was really pissed off after Summer Hill. People complaining about the music, acting like the Japanese guys' personal assistants (even though they were perfectly happy) and going around looking at what the judges were scoring then complaining about that too. If that was you - fuck you.

The issue with the placings was unfortunate and I've got mixed feelings about that. I'm happy that people cared enough to get upset, but I'm also sad that things didn't work out so that everyone was happy. I felt sorry for Mike B to be honest.

Shaun and I will continue to organise DUG so that's there's a place, date and reason for the wider community to get together but it constantly frustrates me that people will come and not ride even before the event. I just want to ride with other people, but if you can't ride certain surfaces, temperatures, gradients and breeze speeds then I guess we can't be friends...

I'm not making any more effort to get sponsorship for the event or do anymore than make a flyer and think about it on the day. I want to take it back to where it started, a day where people meet, ride, play some tunes, chat and trade some parts etc.

I'd be 100% if it was just a jam where there was an 'official' part of the jam for maybe 20mins where we just sessioned and I had a mic and we showed people what flatland was. They'd know to come at a certain time and see that 'show'. If that meant we could get a sweet location for free I'd be happy.

Australia isn't up to a flatland contest any more. All of the best riders are getting old and riding less. Having a jam where young guys could see them all together would be way better. The day at the IMAX after the Sydney round was amazing. I would rather have had two of those than do the trade show. The trade show sucked.

That's all.

Paul

25/12/2011
3:25 pm
flatpaul
Members

Moderators

I don't want to organise another contest in Australia.

I want to have a jam and give away some product to the guys who ride the most on the day and the guys who need it most.

That's really all.

Paul

25/12/2011
10:41 pm
flatnatics
Members

If enough ppl post interest then I'll help out other wise I'm gonna stay low and just post vids periodically...

26/12/2011
3:03 pm
riderforlife
Members

informal announcment
dug round 1
sydney
summer hill
25th february 2012

more info to flow

dug round 2
melbourne
august or october

26/12/2011
7:51 pm
Sneeze
Melbourne
Admin
Forum Posts: 1294

Just make it a social gathering and Jam. Then instead of prizes for "winning" have a raffle instead.

26/12/2011
8:48 pm
riderforlife
Members

as a comp it helps to push the level of riding. as a rider when i go to a downunderground comp i always want to ride at my best with new tricks.
if it was a jam i would be less inclined to attend and riders would not always be caring about progression.

DUG will always be a comp but with a jam feel. this is the best way to roll it out.

until the momentum of the downunderground starts to pick up again like the first series was im sure it will stay as the current format.

more info will follow about the video submissions for the downunderground

27/12/2011
4:43 am
flatnatics
Members

Good if ppl had more drive to actually ride more the. Once a month...
Round 2 should have a prize for the most progressed rider since round 1 for their level???

27/12/2011
1:12 pm
riderforlife
Members

[quote="flatnatics":ytzzddj3]Good if ppl had more drive to actually ride more the. Once a month...
Round 2 should have a prize for the most progressed rider since round 1 for their level???[/quote:ytzzddj3]

Best post ,

29/12/2011
10:03 am
ali
Members
Forum Posts: 2019

I agree with and can relate to Paul.

But I would add...

That it's okay not to have a competition scene. We have never really had one here and I'm fine with that. We just don't have the volume of riders to sustain one. Worse still, a competition scene divides the existing scene because it splits riders into those who compete and those who don't.

A jam scene on the other hand is all inclusive, you turn up and ride, everyone's a rider. No class division, no split between "riders" and others. It's also entirely possible to give out prizes and awards in a fair and equitable manner at a jam. I think we did that at the IVF jams.

So in sum, fuck comps.

Four grand, dropped into tripping around oz for the DUG events could be better spent getting to Japan for the KoG, at least twice.

29/12/2011
10:10 pm
flatnatics
Members

That wasn't thought out was it Ali???
No matter where it is there is always those who do and those who don't compete...
I guess it's the fact that nearly all the ppl who ride or say they ride don't really have that drive
To push them selves or make some sort of time to push them selves in flatland...
Some ppl do have families or partners that seriously hinder there ability to ride but even then most don't really care about enough...
I think that when it comes to flatland in Australia it's more about the social factor then about being inspired to learn and do something new...
I would like to see the dug or any other event here in Australia move forward but since most don't care then it's also something that isn't going to currently succeed to its fullest...

29/12/2011
11:40 pm
Tweekend
Members
Forum Posts: 511

For me, the thing I look forward to most about the DUG's is the jams the few days before the comp day and the shenanigans at night. I'm pretty much over the competition side of things now as I don't ride as much as I used to and I would only be going to events now to enjoy a weekend away with a good bunch of guys who I share a hobby with.

Heck, the next comp I go to I'm gonna spend most of my time getting footage and making a decent video. Haven't made one in a while and those are the things we'll have to look back on when we're too old to ride.

Not sure if I'll make the event in February as I have a month off work in April and need all my cash for that month but I'll make the second one. Jamming at Melb IMAX is always a good time, but there's nothing worse than travelling to jam and not being able to ride because of bad weather.

30/12/2011
12:17 am
flatnatics
Members

I'm mostly have the same feelings as you... Just wanna do little clips when I feel I want to...

31/12/2011
4:38 pm
Sneeze
Melbourne
Admin
Forum Posts: 1294

I'm the sort of rider that will go to the jam before the comp but not the comp.
I'm assuming I'm not the only one.

02/01/2012
2:13 pm
flatpaul
Members

Moderators

Many riders who have ridden flatland a lot in the past and are now older and don't ride so much get frustrated at comps because their skills have deteriorated. I don't want them to feel frustrated. Jam's better for them.

Basically I agree with Ali and disagree with Shaun. You can give prizes out in a fair way at a jam.

I'd rather not have a raffle because I'm to choose who gets what in a way that I believe would be considered fair by all.

I think that jams are waaaaaaaaaay better for progress. Riders never do something new in a competition but they do at jams all the time. I've never thought about getting a new trick ready for a competition. As for jams - you get bullied into trying new things - you see new things - you leave with fresh ideas for new tricks when you go home. Jams make you think outside of the box.

Paul

02/01/2012
10:37 pm
flatnatics
Members

Where everyone's else opinion on this???
I like comp and jams equally as much,
If I got something new that I've been working on then I really want to nail
It for personal satisfaction but if not then I only want to play
With "safe" tricks cause I hate riding shit in front of everyone!!!
As Paul said I'm worried about own riding and can treat it as a practice session!!!

Forum Timezone: Australia/Melbourne
Most Users Ever Online: 621
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 10
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Ginny: 2070
flatnatics: 2058
ali: 2019
tina_thekeener@flatland: 1247
riderforlife: 1094